Many different approaches can be taken to the design of the stair in a workhome, these are a few:
- Minimal stairs are affordable and spatially efficient.
- Stairs can be inhabited, a spatial element that develops landings as places for work or other functions.
- Stairs can separate dwelling and workplace functions in the workhome, and also maybe public from private.
- Stairs can be a mechanism for getting exercise.
- In some workhomes, stairs need to accomodate the removal of large or heavy objects.